UVB lights

Description of your first forum.

UVB lights

Post by Crashme » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00



Quote:

>     I use high intensity vita lights they are floresents but compact into
> several small circle with a built in reflector. And they screws into a reg
> light socket. Measures approx 5"wide by10"" high and run about 50 bucks apiece
> and have had them for three yrs 12hrs aday with no burnouts.         good luck

As far as I know the bulbs you speak of only put out UVB for 12 months or so, then
whatever it is that creates the UVB deteriorates.  You may want to replace them
pronto.
If I am incorrect,  please let me know.

-->Crash

 
 
 

UVB lights

Post by Janice Wil » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Are there any bulbs that provide UVA/UVB that are not the long bulb?  I was hoping to find one that
can fit in a standard light socket.

Thanks,
Janice Wiley

 
 
 

UVB lights

Post by Benjamin Kop » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00


UVA, I think you can...UVB, no --> you cannot get it from an Incandescent bulb.

Quote:

> Are there any bulbs that provide UVA/UVB that are not the long bulb?  I was hoping to find one that
> can fit in a standard light socket.

> Thanks,
> Janice Wiley

 
 
 

UVB lights

Post by BADCAIM » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00


    I use high intensity vita lights they are floresents but compact into
several small circle with a built in reflector. And they screws into a reg
light socket. Measures approx 5"wide by10"" high and run about 50 bucks apiece
and have had them for three yrs 12hrs aday with no burnouts.         good luck

 
 
 

UVB lights

Post by WngdWolf » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00



Quote:
(BADCAIMAN) writes:

>    I use high intensity vita lights they are floresents but compact into
>several small circle with a built in reflector. And they screws into a reg
>light socket. Measures approx 5"wide by10"" high and run about 50 bucks
>apiece
>and have had them for three yrs 12hrs aday with no burnouts.         good
>luck

You need to replace vita-lites every 6 months.  The UVB output decreases
substantially over time.
I guess you could use old vita-lites in other fixtures around your home. <g>

--Winged Wolf
the were/psion

Psion Guild
http://members.aol.com/psion425/Guild.html

 
 
 

UVB lights

Post by Unka » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
>Subject: UVB lights

>Date: Sun, Feb 22, 1998 19:43 EST

>Are there any bulbs that provide UVA/UVB that are not the long bulb?  I was
>hoping to find one that
>can fit in a standard light socket.

>Thanks,
>Janice Wiley

I use a full spectrum heat bulb that fits into a regular socket.  Doesn't full
spectrum mean both UVA and UVB?  All of the local pet shops that deal with
reptiles have these.
 
 
 

UVB lights

Post by Benjamin Kop » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00


No, full spectrum does not mean UVB.  I am not positive on the UVA, but I believe
it does mean UVA since that is the visible wavelength...but absolutely not on the
UVB --> you need a ReptiSun or IguanaLight 5.0 from ZooMed.

Quote:

> >Subject: UVB lights

> >Date: Sun, Feb 22, 1998 19:43 EST

> >Are there any bulbs that provide UVA/UVB that are not the long bulb?  I was
> >hoping to find one that
> >can fit in a standard light socket.

> >Thanks,
> >Janice Wiley

> I use a full spectrum heat bulb that fits into a regular socket.  Doesn't full
> spectrum mean both UVA and UVB?  All of the local pet shops that deal with
> reptiles have these.

 
 
 

UVB lights

Post by BADCAIM » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00


  >

Quote:
>You need to replace vita-lites every 6 months.  The UVB output decreases
>substantially over time.
>I guess you could use old vita-lites in other fixtures around your home. <g>

    Never knew that thanks for the heads up..................
 
 
 

UVB lights

Post by SkyWo » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00



Quote:

>I use a full spectrum heat bulb that fits into a regular socket.  Doesn't full
>spectrum mean both UVA and UVB?  All of the local pet shops that deal with
>reptiles have these.

No. Other than the Vitalite flourescents that***in and have their
own ballast etc....(And I don't like them) The other bulb type***
ins are all useless. They just package them to TRICK you into buying
them.

Mac

 
 
 

UVB lights

Post by BADCAIM » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00


     >As far as I know the bulbs you speak of only put out UVB for 12 months or
so,

Quote:
>then
>whatever it is that creates the UVB deteriorates.  You may want to replace
>them
>pronto.
>If I am incorrect,  please let me know.

>-->Crash

  thanks for the info. did not know that replacing them as you read this.      
            thank you
 
 
 

UVB lights

Post by NHHerpS » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
> I use high intensity vita lights they are floresents but compact into<BR>
>several small circle with a built in reflector. And they screws into a reg
><BR>
>light socket. Measures approx 5"wide by10"" high and run about 50 bucks
>apiece<BR>
>and have had them for three yrs 12hrs aday with no burnouts.  

Not only do fluorescent tubes need to be changed often (as already noted by
others), but these compact bulbs also limit the space where the UVB is getting
to.  Think about it:  If the UVB only extends 12-18" MAX from your bulb, and
you cut down on the size of the bulb, you have just reduced the area where the
UVB is getting to, thus reducing the effectiveness. Unless your reptile is very
small and in a very small cage (10 gal or so), these compact bulbs are not a
good idea.....

Bonnie Key

NH Herptile Society & Rescue
Club and licensed animal shelter
603-435-7212
http://members.aol.com/NHHerpSoc/index.html

 
 
 

UVB lights

Post by BADCAIM » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Quote:
>Not only do fluorescent tubes need to be changed often (as already noted by
>others), but these compact bulbs also limit the space where the UVB is
>getting
>to.  Think about it:  If the UVB only extends 12-18" MAX from your bulb, and
>you cut down on the size of the bulb, you have just reduced the area where
>the
>UVB is getting to, thus reducing the effectiveness. Unless your reptile is
>very
>small and in a very small cage (10 gal or so), these compact bulbs are not a
>good idea.....

>Bonnie Key

>NH Herptile Society & Rescue
>Club and licensed animal shelter
>603-435-7212
>http://members.aol.com/NHHerpSoc/index.html

></PRE></HTML>

     I use six of the fixtures on a 6 ft long cage. with basking sites below
the lights.    
 
 
 

UVB lights

Post by GatorFa » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

>      >As far as I know the bulbs you speak of only put out UVB for 12 months or
> so,
> >then
> >whatever it is that creates the UVB deteriorates.  You may want to replace
> >them
> >pronto.
> >If I am incorrect,  please let me know.

You are correct that they are useless for UVB after 12 months. I
replace mine after 6 months because they *begin* losing their
effectiveness at this point. I use the old bulbs for my snakes who
only need light, not UVB. Others use them around the house.
 
 
 

UVB lights

Post by Damani » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:01:00


you can't get uvb from incandescant bulbs only fluorecents,which provide both
uva and uvb one good one on the market is zoomeds iguana light 5.0

 
 
 

UVB lights

Post by Crashme » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Quote:

> You are correct that they are useless for UVB after 12 months. I
> replace mine after 6 months because they *begin* losing their
> effectiveness at this point. I use the old bulbs for my snakes who
> only need light, not UVB. Others use them around the house.

Whoa nelly,    Snakes need UVB too! Just not as much!

-->Crash