self-cleaning litter boxes

Description of your first forum.

self-cleaning litter boxes

Post by CKosty » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:58:04



Has anyone tried the self-cleaning litter boxes? Do they work? Do they
scare the cats? Please give me the scoop :)

I am moving sometime next week and FINALLY get to have a pair of
fuzzy, purring bundles of energy again :)

Catherine

 
 
 

self-cleaning litter boxes

Post by Jacque Brow » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 05:35:53


The only thing I can tell you is that in using these boxes, you must use
clumping litter.  If you are getting a small kitten, it is unhealthy for the
kitten to use that litter.  You should start a baby out with a regular
litter and when it gets bigger you can go to the clumping litter and an
automatic box.


Quote:
> Has anyone tried the self-cleaning litter boxes? Do they work? Do they
> scare the cats? Please give me the scoop :)

> I am moving sometime next week and FINALLY get to have a pair of
> fuzzy, purring bundles of energy again :)

> Catherine

 
 
 

self-cleaning litter boxes

Post by MAEP » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 05:59:31


Quote:
>The only thing I can tell you is that in using these boxes, you must use
>clumping litter.  If you are getting a small kitten, it is unhealthy for the
>kitten to use that litter.  You should start a baby out with a regular
>litter and when it gets bigger you can go to the clumping litter and an
>automatic box.

I remember seeing this said about clumping litter and I can't remember the
consensus. I do know that some clumping litters are definitely ok, even with
kittens. World's Best Cat Litter and Swheat Scoop are natural, grain-based
litters and right on the label, it says not to worry if cats ingest any. In
fact, WBCL says lots of cats will "taste" this litter when you first switch to
it and that's exactly what Echo did, jumped in, sniffed, took some tentative
***s and then did his business. At least he didn't*** it after that!

Anna

 
 
 

self-cleaning litter boxes

Post by Jacque Brow » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 23:12:22


I'm not sure those will work with your box.  Must read the directions on the
new box.

Quote:
> >The only thing I can tell you is that in using these boxes, you must use
> >clumping litter.  If you are getting a small kitten, it is unhealthy for
the
> >kitten to use that litter.  You should start a baby out with a regular
> >litter and when it gets bigger you can go to the clumping litter and an
> >automatic box.

> I remember seeing this said about clumping litter and I can't remember the
> consensus. I do know that some clumping litters are definitely ok, even
with
> kittens. World's Best Cat Litter and Swheat Scoop are natural, grain-based
> litters and right on the label, it says not to worry if cats ingest any.
In
> fact, WBCL says lots of cats will "taste" this litter when you first
switch to
> it and that's exactly what Echo did, jumped in, sniffed, took some
tentative
>***s and then did his business. At least he didn't*** it after that!

> Anna

 
 
 

self-cleaning litter boxes

Post by pdq-L » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 15:02:44


I had one for about a year, and I loved it.  But after a year and a half I
dumped it and replaced it with a nice covered litter box.

Pros:
They do work, but sometimes you have to scoop it out manually because it can
only have about 1-1/2 inches of litter.
You don't need to clean it as often.

Cons:
Noisy
Needs to be near an outlet
Emptying the container is arguably as much trouble as emptying a regular
litter box.
When it gets old the soil and mess starts to build up and it kinda gets hard
to clean and unsightly
Did I mention noisy?
Always seems to kick in when there's something good on TV

Just my $0.02
Pete Q.


Quote:
> Has anyone tried the self-cleaning litter boxes? Do they work? Do they
> scare the cats? Please give me the scoop :)

> I am moving sometime next week and FINALLY get to have a pair of
> fuzzy, purring bundles of energy again :)

> Catherine

 
 
 

self-cleaning litter boxes

Post by CKosty » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 04:11:49



scribed:

\\>When it gets old the soil and mess starts to build up and it kinda
gets hard
\\>to clean and unsightly
\\>Did I mention noisy?
\\>Always seems to kick in when there's something good on TV
\\>
\\>
\\>Just my $0.02
\\>Pete Q.

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this. I had the
sneaking suspicion that the self-cleaning boxes were a gimmick more
for the humans than the cats and that sooner or later, it would go out
of the door and a more traditional box would replace it.

I have made the move to Indianapolis, and the time is getting closer
when I will have the funds to move in one or two *** bundles of
energy. I have always taken kittens off of the hands of individuals
who had litters to give away, but this time I think that I will go the
local shelter route.

For 90.00 they will: a vet exam, first series of shots, de-worm,
spay/neuter, microchip implant and give a 10% coupon for PetSmart (I
think that is the store).  All of this AND I get to save the life of
one or two cats. Cannot beat that at all :)

I have always had kittens as well, this time I think that I will adopt
a cat or older kitten, I will just have to try not to look at all of
the adorable babies for if I do, my heart will melt :)

Catherine K.

 
 
 

self-cleaning litter boxes

Post by Adam Helber » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 14:25:47


I have used the Littermaid Mega for about a year for my one cat. The noise
does not bother me nor the cat and I'm sensitive. I have to dump the
receptacle about once per week and every couple of days scoop a little bit
as the rake does miss some poop. About once a month or so I fully change the
litter.

Adam


Quote:

> scribed:

> \\>When it gets old the soil and mess starts to build up and it kinda
> gets hard
> \\>to clean and unsightly
> \\>Did I mention noisy?
> \\>Always seems to kick in when there's something good on TV
> \\>
> \\>
> \\>Just my $0.02
> \\>Pete Q.

> I would like to thank everyone for their input on this. I had the
> sneaking suspicion that the self-cleaning boxes were a gimmick more
> for the humans than the cats and that sooner or later, it would go out
> of the door and a more traditional box would replace it.

> I have made the move to Indianapolis, and the time is getting closer
> when I will have the funds to move in one or two *** bundles of
> energy. I have always taken kittens off of the hands of individuals
> who had litters to give away, but this time I think that I will go the
> local shelter route.

> For 90.00 they will: a vet exam, first series of shots, de-worm,
> spay/neuter, microchip implant and give a 10% coupon for PetSmart (I
> think that is the store).  All of this AND I get to save the life of
> one or two cats. Cannot beat that at all :)

> I have always had kittens as well, this time I think that I will adopt
> a cat or older kitten, I will just have to try not to look at all of
> the adorable babies for if I do, my heart will melt :)

> Catherine K.

 
 
 

self-cleaning litter boxes

Post by Adam Helber » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 14:15:36


I should add that you are wrong. Littermaid is not a gimmick it does work
and has made my life with my cat much easier, especially when I am on call
at the hospital and stay there overnight. It is much better than having poop
and urine clumps sit there in the box for several hours.

Adam


Quote:

> scribed:

> \\>When it gets old the soil and mess starts to build up and it kinda
> gets hard
> \\>to clean and unsightly
> \\>Did I mention noisy?
> \\>Always seems to kick in when there's something good on TV
> \\>
> \\>
> \\>Just my $0.02
> \\>Pete Q.

> I would like to thank everyone for their input on this. I had the
> sneaking suspicion that the self-cleaning boxes were a gimmick more
> for the humans than the cats and that sooner or later, it would go out
> of the door and a more traditional box would replace it.

> I have made the move to Indianapolis, and the time is getting closer
> when I will have the funds to move in one or two *** bundles of
> energy. I have always taken kittens off of the hands of individuals
> who had litters to give away, but this time I think that I will go the
> local shelter route.

> For 90.00 they will: a vet exam, first series of shots, de-worm,
> spay/neuter, microchip implant and give a 10% coupon for PetSmart (I
> think that is the store).  All of this AND I get to save the life of
> one or two cats. Cannot beat that at all :)

> I have always had kittens as well, this time I think that I will adopt
> a cat or older kitten, I will just have to try not to look at all of
> the adorable babies for if I do, my heart will melt :)

> Catherine K.