Just wondering, as the bird flu is expected to be here about summer time,
how we can be sure cat food is safe, specially food with chicken in it?
Hopefully the pet food makers will take all the necessary precautions.
WHO sites > Food safety > Microbiological risks in food
WHO is aware of concerns that the virus could also spread to humans
through contact with contaminated poultry products. To date, no
epidemiological data suggest that the disease can be transmitted to
humans through properly cooked food (even if contaminated with the
virus prior to cooking). However, in a few instances, cases have been
linked to consumption of dishes made of raw contaminated poultry ***.
I doubt anyone has done any specific studies as of yet on poultry in
cat food. Most of the Avian flue cases are transmitted through the bird
feces or contaminated surfaces.
You could "Google" a search for your topic and perhaps some of the
Veterinary Schools have begun research.
> Paul O.
>> Just wondering, as the bird flu is expected to be here about summer time,
>> how we can be sure cat food is safe, specially food with chicken in it?
>> Hopefully the pet food makers will take all the necessary precautions.
>> Paul O.
> Cooking the meat kills the virus. A much bigger threat is cats eating
> wild birds.
Absolutely clueless when it comes to cats
Learning more every day, but still clueless
1. CAT FOOD, CAT FOOD, CAT FOOD, CAT FOOD, CAT FOOD,
4. New Scientist: Cats Can Spread The Deadly Bird Flu H5N1
5. Cats are at risk from Bird flu
6. Chertoff: Bird flu possible in U.S. within months
7. major panic attack--bird flu!
9. we were wrong(was:bird get flu?)
10. Bird flu
11. Avian flu discovered in Delaware, birds to be destroyed
12. Parrot Flu: Bird Paradise, Burilington, NJ
13. WHO repeats warning of rapid bird flu spread
14. Fighting Bird Flu Hysteria