Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Description of your first forum.

Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Post by mpta » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 01:04:11



Hi everyone... been a long time since I've posted.

Saw that there's been some discussion about inexpensive cat trees, and
others have recommended the Drs Fosters/Smith collection.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=1&pCatI...

Before I buy, I wanted to check if anyone's had any experience with
the Regular Traditional Cat Tree (seen at this link).  It only has a
12" square base.  I've got 2 cats who are occasionally rambunctious.
Is this 12" base along with the ceiling support sturdy enough?  Do any
of you own this model?

Thanks!
Michele

 
 
 

Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Post by Mar » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 02:10:21


Quote:
>Before I buy, I wanted to check if anyone's had any experience with
>the Regular Traditional Cat Tree (seen at this link).  It only has a
>12" square base.  I've got 2 cats who are occasionally rambunctious.

I have one of those. My ceiling was a tiny bit taller so I had to wedge a
marker into the spring hole. I don't think the tension is enough to keep the
cat tree there so I also tied a wire around the post and anchored that to the
wall. It still moves a little but kitty doesn't mind. I only have one cat who
uses the tree and she weighs 12 lbs. I want to get a handy man to make the
thing more snug so I'll feel better.
 
 
 

Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Post by Victoria & Co » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 02:17:45




Quote:
> Hi everyone... been a long time since I've posted.

> Saw that there's been some discussion about inexpensive cat trees, and
> others have recommended the Drs Fosters/Smith collection.

> http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=1&pCatI...

> Before I buy, I wanted to check if anyone's had any experience with
> the Regular Traditional Cat Tree (seen at this link).  It only has a
> 12" square base.  I've got 2 cats who are occasionally rambunctious.
> Is this 12" base along with the ceiling support sturdy enough?  Do any
> of you own this model?

> Thanks!
> Michele

We decided not to invest in that type of tree because my guys are 15 lbs and
17 lbs, respectively (for now!).  We settled on a big sunflower from Sitting
Pretty Kitty, and they LOVE it.  It also allows them to climb up and sit on
top without it tilting over at all.  That's quite a feat for my chunks of
felinity!  LOL  It's a tad pricey, but I think worth the money in the long
run.  Good luck!

www.sittingprettykitty.com

Hugs and headbutts,
Sir Simba, Matumbo, & Victoria
"The Mafia and the Bandit"

-----
Take my money away before replying.
HelenBaque (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

 
 
 

Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Post by John Bilt » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 01:21:11


I thought it seemed small for a full size cat also but it could be the
photo.  If it is wobbly you can do what I have done and take a two simple L
brackets and 8 screws, mount a bracket under one level and then***it
into a wall stud.  I put one on each side of the center pole but I think
that was overkill.  All the stability you could ever want.  Maya likes to
wrap her front paws around the post sink her claws into the back of the pole
about 4 feet up and wrestle it.  That is a lot of leverage at that height
and mine was not anchored at the top.  Before she would get it rocking, now
it doesn't budge.  My experience with cat trees is location is more
important than the particular model, at least from the cat's point of view.
Before I moved mine just off the patio door she would not use it.  Once I
moved it she was all over it.  Now she can monitor her outside territory and
the living room, kitchen and dining room.


Quote:
> >Before I buy, I wanted to check if anyone's had any experience with
> >the Regular Traditional Cat Tree (seen at this link).  It only has a
> >12" square base.  I've got 2 cats who are occasionally rambunctious.

> I have one of those. My ceiling was a tiny bit taller so I had to wedge a
> marker into the spring hole. I don't think the tension is enough to keep
the
> cat tree there so I also tied a wire around the post and anchored that to
the
> wall. It still moves a little but kitty doesn't mind. I only have one cat
who
> uses the tree and she weighs 12 lbs. I want to get a handy man to make the
> thing more snug so I'll feel better.

 
 
 

Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Post by Kare » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:12:10




Quote:
> I thought it seemed small for a full size cat also but it could be the
> photo.  If it is wobbly you can do what I have done and take a two simple L
> brackets and 8 screws, mount a bracket under one level and then***it
> into a wall stud.  I put one on each side of the center pole but I think
> that was overkill.  All the stability you could ever want.  Maya likes to
> wrap her front paws around the post sink her claws into the back of the pole
> about 4 feet up and wrestle it.  That is a lot of leverage at that height
> and mine was not anchored at the top.  Before she would get it rocking, now
> it doesn't budge.  My experience with cat trees is location is more
> important than the particular model, at least from the cat's point of view.
> Before I moved mine just off the patio door she would not use it.  Once I
> moved it she was all over it.  Now she can monitor her outside territory and
> the living room, kitchen and dining room.

You know what they say, "Location, location, location!"

I had to giggle about her wrestling the pole. I lOVE it when Sugar hangs on
the big cat tree and fights it! Most entertaining for both of us. Gravity is
too much Grant's enemy to do that. If he doesn't have inertia behind him,
it's all over :)

Karen

 
 
 

Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Post by Divamanq » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 07:06:51


I didn't have that one (mine had a sort of "house" on a
platform near the top), but mine also had a comparatively
narrow base, with a tension pole at the top.  Where I
originally had it (in an "old fashioned" California-bungalow
style house with real plaster walls and ceilings) the
tension pole kept it pretty stable - never had any problems
with it.  Then I moved to a condo with "acoustical"
ceilings, where the tension pole just didn't take hold
well.  My cats were used to chasing each other up and down
the tree, so after a few loud crashes after midnight, when
their activities sent the tree collapsing to the floor (my
poor neighbors!) I got rid of it.  Tension poles hold fairly
well, I think, if they have something solid to push against,
but that pebbly acoustical plaster didn't seem too
satisfactory (although it may have been because I was afraid
of damaging the plaster by setting the pole firmly enough).
Quote:

> Hi everyone... been a long time since I've posted.

> Saw that there's been some discussion about inexpensive cat trees, and
> others have recommended the Drs Fosters/Smith collection.

> http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=1&pCatI...

> Before I buy, I wanted to check if anyone's had any experience with
> the Regular Traditional Cat Tree (seen at this link).  It only has a
> 12" square base.  I've got 2 cats who are occasionally rambunctious.
> Is this 12" base along with the ceiling support sturdy enough?  Do any
> of you own this model?

> Thanks!
> Michele

 
 
 

Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Post by John Bilt » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:30:41


She really throws herself into it.  I think she liked it more when it moved.
It gave her a sense of accomplishment, if she ever would have knocked it
over I think she would have been proud of herself.  Once she had her claws
come lose and she launched herself off of it.  I was sitting in my chair
when suddenly I saw her flying backward through the air four feet high.  I
lost sight of her behind the coffee table as I was getting up to see if she
was dead or hurt she hurled herself back on it to teach it a lesson.  She is
such a little ruffian.


Quote:

Biltz

> > I thought it seemed small for a full size cat also but it could be the
> > photo.  If it is wobbly you can do what I have done and take a two
simple L
> > brackets and 8 screws, mount a bracket under one level and then***it
> > into a wall stud.  I put one on each side of the center pole but I think
> > that was overkill.  All the stability you could ever want.  Maya likes
to
> > wrap her front paws around the post sink her claws into the back of the
pole
> > about 4 feet up and wrestle it.  That is a lot of leverage at that
height
> > and mine was not anchored at the top.  Before she would get it rocking,
now
> > it doesn't budge.  My experience with cat trees is location is more
> > important than the particular model, at least from the cat's point of
view.
> > Before I moved mine just off the patio door she would not use it.  Once
I
> > moved it she was all over it.  Now she can monitor her outside territory
and
> > the living room, kitchen and dining room.

> You know what they say, "Location, location, location!"

> I had to giggle about her wrestling the pole. I lOVE it when Sugar hangs
on
> the big cat tree and fights it! Most entertaining for both of us. Gravity
is
> too much Grant's enemy to do that. If he doesn't have inertia behind him,
> it's all over :)

> Karen

 
 
 

Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Post by Kare » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:11:05




Quote:
> She really throws herself into it.  I think she liked it more when it moved.
> It gave her a sense of accomplishment, if she ever would have knocked it
> over I think she would have been proud of herself.  Once she had her claws
> come lose and she launched herself off of it.  I was sitting in my chair
> when suddenly I saw her flying backward through the air four feet high.  I
> lost sight of her behind the coffee table as I was getting up to see if she
> was dead or hurt she hurled herself back on it to teach it a lesson.  She is
> such a little ruffian.

LOL!! This gave me quite a chuckle. You never knew what entertainment you
were in for when you took Maya in, did you?

Karen

 
 
 

Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Post by John Bilt » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:27:38



Quote:

Biltz

> > She really throws herself into it.  I think she liked it more when it
moved.
> > It gave her a sense of accomplishment, if she ever would have knocked it
> > over I think she would have been proud of herself.  Once she had her
claws
> > come lose and she launched herself off of it.  I was sitting in my chair
> > when suddenly I saw her flying backward through the air four feet high.
I
> > lost sight of her behind the coffee table as I was getting up to see if
she
> > was dead or hurt she hurled herself back on it to teach it a lesson.
She is
> > such a little ruffian.

> LOL!! This gave me quite a chuckle. You never knew what entertainment you
> were in for when you took Maya in, did you?

> Karen

No, I really did not.  I was expecting this standoffish animal who would not
interact with me much but would share my space.  I had no idea she would
have so much personality, how complex our relationship would be, much less
how much fun she would be to have around.   It is a rare day she does not
make me smile several times if not laugh.  I always refer to Maya as having
moved in, not me taking her in.  She decided to live here it was just a
matter of me catching on.  At work one time I said when Maya moved in... One
of my coworkers asked why I always said that instead of I got a cat.  I
described how one day she climbed up on a chair on my patio and went to
sleep and basically just stayed after that.
 
 
 

Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Post by Frank Ca » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:02:42



Quote:
> She really throws herself into it.  I think she liked it more when it
moved.
> It gave her a sense of accomplishment, if she ever would have knocked it
> over I think she would have been proud of herself.  Once she had her claws
> come lose and she launched herself off of it.  I was sitting in my chair
> when suddenly I saw her flying backward through the air four feet high.  I
> lost sight of her behind the coffee table as I was getting up to see if
she
> was dead or hurt she hurled herself back on it to teach it a lesson.  She
is
> such a little ruffian.

ROFL! What a great description!

--
Marina

 
 
 

Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Post by Kare » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 00:09:02




Quote:




> Biltz

>>> She really throws herself into it.  I think she liked it more when it
> moved.
>>> It gave her a sense of accomplishment, if she ever would have knocked it
>>> over I think she would have been proud of herself.  Once she had her
> claws
>>> come lose and she launched herself off of it.  I was sitting in my chair
>>> when suddenly I saw her flying backward through the air four feet high.
> I
>>> lost sight of her behind the coffee table as I was getting up to see if
> she
>>> was dead or hurt she hurled herself back on it to teach it a lesson.
> She is
>>> such a little ruffian.

>> LOL!! This gave me quite a chuckle. You never knew what entertainment you
>> were in for when you took Maya in, did you?

>> Karen

> No, I really did not.  I was expecting this standoffish animal who would not
> interact with me much but would share my space.  I had no idea she would
> have so much personality, how complex our relationship would be, much less
> how much fun she would be to have around.   It is a rare day she does not
> make me smile several times if not laugh.  I always refer to Maya as having
> moved in, not me taking her in.  She decided to live here it was just a
> matter of me catching on.  At work one time I said when Maya moved in... One
> of my coworkers asked why I always said that instead of I got a cat.  I
> described how one day she climbed up on a chair on my patio and went to
> sleep and basically just stayed after that.

And THAT is the cat way :)

Karen

 
 
 

Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Post by Kare » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 00:14:14




Quote:


>> She really throws herself into it.  I think she liked it more when it
> moved.
>> It gave her a sense of accomplishment, if she ever would have knocked it
>> over I think she would have been proud of herself.  Once she had her claws
>> come lose and she launched herself off of it.  I was sitting in my chair
>> when suddenly I saw her flying backward through the air four feet high.  I
>> lost sight of her behind the coffee table as I was getting up to see if
> she
>> was dead or hurt she hurled herself back on it to teach it a lesson.  She
> is
>> such a little ruffian.

> ROFL! What a great description!

> --
> Marina

Can't you just hear the sound effects?  WAAAAAHYA! huff puff! AAAAAGHHHH!
YAH!

Karen

 
 
 

Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Post by Frank Ca » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:59:42



Quote:

> Can't you just hear the sound effects?  WAAAAAHYA! huff puff! AAAAAGHHHH!
> YAH!

> Karen

LOL! That makes it even better!

--
Marina

 
 
 

Drs Foster/Smith cat tree: need recommendation

Post by polonca1200 » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 00:42:19


I love you Maya stories, John. Looking forward to more of them.
Best wishes to you and Maya,
--
Polonca & Soncek


<snip>She decided to live here it was just a

Quote:
> matter of me catching on.  At work one time I said when Maya moved in...
One
> of my coworkers asked why I always said that instead of I got a cat.  I
> described how one day she climbed up on a chair on my patio and went to
> sleep and basically just stayed after that.