One of my kitties, Wolfie, has been battling Feline Leukemia. He was
only recently diagnosed, but the diagnosis was made after he had already
tested negative once. I took him to the vet because he had once again
gotten an upper respiratory infection and I was worried he wouldn't be
able to kick it. That was 7 weeks ago. He has been on immunoregulin
and was re-tested today. Once again, he was positive for the virus.
I spent all day today crying and asking myself what to do. He is
unlikely ever to get better, especially since he was sick already. He
has periods where he looks perfectly normal, and then he crashes
big-time. Now, he is crashing. I am afraid he might pass the virus on
to my other kitties who have been pretty much kept away from him since
he was diagnosed. I also know I have very little chance of being able
to afford more extended care for him. this one bout has been pretty
expensive as it is.
After just force-feeding him again today and seeing him look really
bad (3rd eyelid and everything), I have pretty much decided to put him
down. It's breaking my heart, you know? I wonder if anyone out there
has gone through this and can tell me how they handled it. I feel like
I'm making the decision selfishly, as though I should wait and see if he
gets better again. It's just that I don't think he's ever going to be
well. It's been 7 weeks since he looked like himself.
Does anyone know of any support groups?