Help with cat that somehow ingested toxins!

Description of your first forum.

Help with cat that somehow ingested toxins!

Post by Maryanne Zupe » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00



I (we, really) have just recovered from a crisis involving my cat
ingesting some kind of toxin found in the house (we think).  At least, that's
what the vet believes happened.  Thankfully, the poor
guy is better and back home after a week in the hospital but Im now
faced with the mystery of how this all happened and Im wondering if
anyone out there might have any ideas.   Without knowing what happened
Im afraid this may happen again!

Some background:  I moved into this new home about two monnths ago.  I keep
Jusepe's litter down the ba***t, he's strictly an indoor cat.  Ive been
through the entire house several times (especially the ba***t) and have
come up empty handed.  His symptoms where: abdominal pain, inability to
use the litter, hind quarters hunched (maybe because of pain).  There was
no vomit or diarrhea.  All this happened in the matter of several hours.
The only thing I can think of is: some kind of rat/mouse posion left by
previous owner (though they had a dog that was kept down the ba***t and
they used the ba***t themselves as workspace)?, residue left by a termite
treatment in June (possible?), he ate a diseased rodent? (again, no evidence).

Any help or ideas would be appreciate!  And theres one more thing:
athough he's recovering nicely there was some neurological damage.  He has
trouble with his hind legs and his tail just kind of hangs there ...
The vet said most cats recover from this and I do see a little improvement
since he's been home.  But I was wondering if anyone else has experienced
this with their cat.  Is there anything else that can be done for this?  
Kitty acupuncture?

Thanks in advance,
Maryanne

--

 
 
 

Help with cat that somehow ingested toxins!

Post by Mandy Fento » Sun, 01 Oct 1995 04:00:00




Quote:

> Any help or ideas would be appreciate!  And theres one more thing:
> athough he's recovering nicely there was some neurological damage.  He has
> trouble with his hind legs and his tail just kind of hangs there ...
> The vet said most cats recover from this and I do see a little improvement
> since he's been home.  But I was wondering if anyone else has experienced
> this with their cat.  Is there anything else that can be done for this?  
> Kitty acupuncture?

> Thanks in advance,
> Maryanne

     Sounds as if it may be a kind of pesticide/insecticide. Things like that
often cause neurological probs. Or perhaps***ing paint, some have heavy
metals like lead, cadmium, zinc, or copper which can cause neuro problems

  Let us know how it goes.
   Hugs. Good thoughts to the cat.
--
    Mandy Fenton
    Co-cuddle companion to Tabor, the little black cat.
    Catcodes - Tabor: DM B G+Y 4 Y L+ W+ C++ I+ T+++ A E++ H S
                      V- F Q++ P B PA+ PL-
    We live in Manchester, England.

 
 
 

Help with cat that somehow ingested toxins!

Post by Antti Matik » Sun, 01 Oct 1995 04:00:00


Quote:

>I (we, really) have just recovered from a crisis involving my cat
>ingesting some kind of toxin found in the house (we think).  At least, that's

Sounds like you have some rat poison around.
The symptoms are alike.
Check carefully and, if possible, vacuum the cellar.

Andy